Very similar to a fruit crumble, this delicious Italian dessert is simple, uses ingredients you probably already have in your store cupboard and freezer, and is perfectly scrumptious warming food for the cold and wet winter days ahead.
This recipe was prepared and photographed by Agnieszka, your Real Foods Tollcross Shop Manager.
Apparently it didn’t last very long!
Time: <2hrs | Serves: 6-8
- 300g gluten free flour
- 60g hazelnuts
- 130g sugar
- 2 medium eggs (available to buy instore only)
- 60g extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp gluten-free baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 500g fresh or frozen blackcurrants, or other berries (available to buy instore only)
- If you are using frozen fruit, allow it to thaw a little. If you are using fresh fruit, simply wash and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Chop the hazelnuts into small pieces, roast in a dry frying pan or skillet for 1 minute.
- Once roasted, grind the hazelnuts in a blender. You could simply use ground hazelnuts for this recipe but the process of roasting adds extra flavour.
- To make the crumble, use a blender to mix the flour, ground hazelnuts, eggs, olive oil, sugar, baking powder and salt, for a short time only to achieve a crumbly texture.
- In separate bowl, mix the ricotta, egg and sugar with a wooden spoon, and beat until you have a silky smooth consistency.
- Using approximately 3/5 of the crumble mixture, gently press into a greased tart or cake tin to form a base, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Once baked and out of the oven, cover the base with the cream, layer the fruit on top of that, followed finally with the rest of the crumble mixture.
- Bake for a further 50 minutes and or until the top is a lovely golden colour. Serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream.